Friday, June 11, 2010

Election - Movie 6

 Rating- 3/5 stars
 Plot

 Recap compliments of rotten tomatoes (sorry I’m out of town and I don’t have long to write.. promise the next plot summary will be my words! “Director Alexander (Citizen Ruth) Payne's second film, based on the novel by Jim Perotta, takes the scandal and mudslinging associated with presidential elections and transposes them to a high school election for student council president in Nebraska- with impossibly sharp, satirical results. Matthew Broderick, in a reversal of Ferris Bueller, plays Jim McAllister, a teacher who will stop at nothing to prevent perfect Tracy Flick (Reese Witherspoon), who is running unopposed, from winning the election. Jim, who bears a personal grudge against Tracy, goads a popular but dim football player into running against her. This spurs on a series strange events, (both madcap and surprisingly sexual) which add up to an uncommonly funny high school film for grown ups. Performances are great all-around and Payne uses shifting-narration and a series of freeze frames which give the film a rich and layered feel.”

Commentary 

 I watched the movie in the car on my way to visit family, and it certainly made the ride seem a little shorter. I’m not really sure how I feel about the movie after watching it… I have to say I was impressed with the originality. Some of the characters were predictable, but the story line was continuously surprising as I watched it unfold. I have to say Matthew Broderick’s character got what he deserved! I also really enjoyed the role Reese Witherspoon played She was PERFECT for the part.. I mean she just screams control-freak. My absolute FAVORITE part was the ending. I laughed so hard I almost choked. It was so unexpected. So that’s all I will say.. I don’t know that I would have named this one of the top 100 movies to watch before you die, but I’d watch it again…

















Write to you soon,

Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment