Sunday, June 6, 2010

Something to blog about

I have recently decided to use netflix.. which got me thinking. I have never been a real movie goer. In fact, in the past 3 years I have been to the movies 3 times. 2 Harry Potter movies.. and Avatar. It’s just too expensive. I can’t justify spending 20+ dollars for 2 hours of potential entertainment.. I have to know the movie is worth spending 20 bucks on.

You see, I have a somewhat unique taste in film. I typically don’t enjoy comedies or action movies. I loathe horror/suspense. I can watch romantic comedies, but my problem with those would be the predictability. I guess if I had to choose an actual genre that I enjoy it would be dramas. However, even those tend to disappoint me. For me a movie has to be honest. I have to be drawn in so tight that my emotions are tied to those of the main character. Then it’s no longer just a movie.. It’s cinema… it’s art.

That is why I have decided to take on a very big project. 200 movies in 200 days. After each film, I will rate and review it here. Which movies? I’m going to tackle 2 lists provided by Yahoo.com.

100 Movies to See Before You Die- The Modern Classics and 100 Movies to See Before You Die- The All-Time Greats.

This is day 1. I hope that you follow me on my journey to broaden my horizons. Who knows, maybe my review will motivate you to watch them as well. Please look over the lists and let me know where you think I should start.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I have a lot of the same films on my Netflix list, and I look forward to seeing what you think about them. I love movies, but I don't know that I could do one every day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud this project. However, a couple of things you might want to note.

    1) There is a significant overlap between these two lists, so if you literally lined them up back to back and watched all of them you wouldn't get 200 movies.

    2) If you watch The Bourne Ultimatum without watching the previous two Bourne movies you will be lost. In that vein, allow me to suggest...

    3) You should add some films to the list. I will now nominate some for you. Cause of my boundless generosity and all.

    The Bourne Identity
    The Bourne Supremacy

    Fresh
    Searching for Bobby Fisher
    Juno
    Devil In a Blue Dress
    Ronin
    Batman Begins
    Batman: The Dark Knight
    Good Will Hunting
    American History X

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest "Harold and Kumar?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a really extensive list that I pulled from different critics' best of list, etc. If you happen to need additional films, let me know.

    ReplyDelete