Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Movie 4- Fargo


Rating- 2/5 stars


Plot
The movie begins with Jerry Lundegaard, played by William H. Macy, in some deep financial trouble. He comes up with a plan to have his wife kidnapped (without any physical harm) with plans that his wealthy father-in-law will post the ransom. Though he tries to call the deal off, his wife is kidnapped anyway.  The kidnappers are pulled over and in panic shoot the cop and 2 innocent people who happen to drive by and witness it.  From this point on the story unfolds with the local police force (headed by a pregnant sheriff) searching for answers to the triple homicide…. Between meals that is.

Commentary
So I get it... You’ve got the darkness of murder, kidnapping, and all that exciting stuff.. and then you pair it up with the light-hearted humor of cute accents and a police force that doesn’t know how to properly perform an investigation (who stops an investigation to go get food?).. Oh gosh, and ya throw in the funny lookin’ guy and ya got yourself a good movie, don’t ya know? (Insert loud buzzing noise) Wrong answer.  Maybe I’m not a dark humor kind of girl, but this was anything but entertaining for me.  I understand why you guys like this movie, really I do... but I just can’t find humor in anything that involves the blatant disregard for human life. So there we have it, my first BAD rating. In fact, I’m not even posting the link to buy it from Amazon.

Write to you soon,
Kendra



* This is film 4/200 in what is now known as "The Cinema Project." For more information, read the post titled "Something To Blog About."

5 comments:

  1. I didn't necessarily say I liked the movie, but because you had not seen it, I thought it would make an interesting blog for you. I knew you wouldn't like it. Don't ya know... yah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sort of with you on this one - dark humor is not my thing. Everyone raved about "A Serious Man" and I technically agree it was good, but didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to love No Country For Old Men. Just love it.

    While I feel your dislike of dark humor, I have to say that there is no warrant for claiming the movie has a disregard for human life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in parts, particularly towards the end there was some compensation and perhaps sincerity, but that being said I still feel like they made a joke out of death and I just can't get into that. Also, thanks for making me TERRIFIED to watch No Country For Old Men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a difficult issue to parse. However, I think Fargo offers some hope, some genuinely decent folks in the midst of many casually evil people. No such luck in NCfOM. It does for living in Texas what Glengarry Glenross did for a career in commissioned sales.

    ReplyDelete