Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sense and Sensibility - Movie 7

Rating- 4/5 stars






Plot
Set in the early 1800s the film Sense and Sensibility, as adapted from the famous Jane Austen novel, is a story of a widow and her 3 daughters as they try to live with little to no financial support. Her husband passes and all of his estate goes to his son from a previous marriage. The late Mrs. Dashwood and her 3 daughters Elinor, Marianne, and Margret are all but forced out of their home shortly after the death of her husband. With little money and no other place to go, the women move into a cottage so generously offered by a relative. Because of their financial situation, finding husbands for the eldest 2 seems unlikely. We watch as Elinor, the sensible one, and Marianne, the hopeless romantic, find love in 2 very different ways.

Commentary
I have to say this is my favorite of the new movies I have seen thus far. Of course, that should be no surprise to anyone as everything about it was precisely what I like (which of course means Josh hates it). I also have to say that the film did Jane Austen’s original work justice. I thought the casting was brilliant. Even Hugh Grant seemed to fit his role, though at times he seemed a bit awkward. I absolutely ADORED Alan Rickman’s performance as Col. Brandon, though it was difficult to picture him as anyone other than Severus Snape. His performance evoked such integrity and sincerity, but most importantly I felt such compassion for him! After seeing him in this role I think I have a glimpse as to how it will feel to see his story unfold in the last of the Harry Potter films… but this isn’t about Harry Potter. This is about Sense and Sensibility. I loved every second of it!!! It was dramatic and romantic and everything a good “chick flick” needs to be successful. However, as a period piece it was exceptional as well. I certainly hope that if you haven’t had a chance to watch this in the past, you do so now!!! Below are links to purchase the film or book from Amazon.
















Write to you soon,

Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment