Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Movie 3- All About Eve

Rating: 4/5 stars


Plot
This is a story of theater in its most raw fashion. An aging actress Margo Channing (played by Bette Davis), befriends a seemingly true young fan. She and her friends Karen and Lloyd Richards all but adopt her, letting her into their homes and elite circle of friends. She enters Margo’s life as a friend, almost a sister, and gains her trust. From this point forward the film is as titled, truly all about Eve. We watch her work her way to getting everything she wants... well almost everything. I won’t say too much more as I hope that you will watch it for yourself. I’ll end the summary with this. We’ve all seen the classic story of the understudy who will stop at nothing to steal the show, but I have never seen it play out like this before.

Commentary
Well, well, well... Did that really just happen? Did I really just enjoy that?  I have to say that I walked into this expecting to be bored... and for the first 30 minutes I was. However, this was 2 hours of solid entertainment with a plot so thick and developed that you become enraptured. Then I remember that this was created in 1950 and I am astounded. All I can say is that since the production there have been many attempts at the same story and every one pales in comparison.  Anne Baxter plays the part of Eve so well… so devious, so subtle, like a snake. Now THAT was drama. For those of you out there like me who have yet to see this rent it, and do keep an open mind.

Favorite Quote:  "Funny business, a woman's career. The things you drop on your way up the ladder so you can move faster. You forget you'll need them when you get back to being a woman.” (Bette Davis as Margo Channing)


Write to you soon,


Kendra


Also, if you wish to purchase this film, I have included the link below to Amazon.
















* This is film 3/200 in what is now known as "The Cinema Project." For more information, read the post titled "Something To Blog About."

No comments:

Post a Comment